Saturday, September 18, 2021

Day 70

 I feel so good today.  It is relatively early on a Saturday morning.  I've done the grocery shopping, made breakfast, mowed the lawn, taken a shower and now enjoying my second cup of coffee.  I have no specific plans for the day and I'm glad for that.  

I'm preparing for my birthday trip which is less than a month away and I'm starting to get excited.  After work yesterday I went shopping for a pair of hiking boots for the trip.  Yes, hiking boots.  I never bought hiking boots before and I've been missing out.  They are comfortable and will keep my feet warm and protected.  This is going to be a great trip.

After I went shopping I treated myself to something that I haven't done since I stopped drinking.  I went out to eat.  I know that doesn't seem like a big deal but let me explain.  Dining out has always been something that I loved to do.  I'm a little bougie so I prefer going to places that have a nice wine list.  Sitting in a dimly lit restaurant across from someone that I'll probably have sex with later on is a joy for me. Well, now that I'm single and sober, drinking wine and having sex are off the table.  However, that doesn't mean that I can't enjoy the experience of having someone serve me food.  I love having someone take my order and bring me food.  I get so caught up in everyday life and eating my own cooking -- because I'm an awesome cook -- that I forget how nice it is to have someone else cook for a change.

Before the pandemic, before I became a vegetarian, before I stopped drinking and before I ended my relationship -- I was in restaurants all the time.  Now, not so much and I miss it.  Having to research places with vegetarian options is a pain and I don't want to go to my old spots and just have a boring salad.  Anyway, I took the plunge yesterday after work and it was marvelous.

I ordered a caprese salad with avocado and a cup of tomato soup and for dessert I had a huge slice of cheesecake.  A very simple meal but I did not have to make it.  The simple act of being among people in a restaurant was what I needed.  I may make this my Friday-after-work ritual. 

September is National Recovery month.  It's nice to have a month to celebrate recovery in all its forms.  Lords knows I'm recovering from a whole mess of things.  I talk a little bit about recovery on my podcast "Before I Go" which can be found on iTunes, Spotify or wherever you listen to podcasts.  Check it out.

I'm still waiting to get my new floors installed.  I talked to the people yesterday and I should be able to set the installation appointment soon -- just waiting for all the materials to come in.  I can't wait to get this done.  I'm working on transforming my space into an oasis.  I have a lot to do and I'm not in a hurry but getting these floors done is the number one goal.

Anyway, I hope you are having an amazing weekend.

Day 70 ... yo, I'm more than half way to 100 days without alcohol.  Woo-Hoo!!!!



No comments: