Thursday, May 7, 2009

It Does Get Better

"I just want to feel better"

That's what I said to a friend of mine about three months ago. I remember it was cold and winter just wouldn't go away. I was feeling fat and miserable. I was angry and sad. I couldn't intelligently explain what was wrong with me all I knew was that I wanted to feel better.

Thankfully, I'm smart enough to know that wishing for something won't make it so. Life is not a fairy tale. It takes action. I knew I needed to do something. I tried a bunch of things ... a few things failed miserably but I'm happy to say that a few other things succeeded:

I acknowledged that I had a problem that I couldn't fix on my own. So I made a phone call and arranged to get some help. It really does help to talk things over with an objective outsider.

I got off my ever-growing azz and joined the gym. I have read studies that say regular exercise releases endorphins and improves your mood. In addition to improving the size of my waistline. I'm happy to report that I have lost an inch and a half from my waist.

I've actually cut down on the alcohol consumption. There is no wine in my house right now but that doesn't mean that there won't be at some point. But those are extra calories that I could do without. Besides too much alcohol can act as a depressant.

Prayer. I pray for strength and protection regularly. I pray that God will continue to protect me from my own negative thoughts. I pray that during those times when I feel weak, that He will be my strength.

Back in February I just wanted to feel better and right now I FEEL GREAT! It does get better. It may not feel like it when you are in the thick of things but continue to look up, continue to be grateful, continue to be positive.

It does get better.

4 comments:

LB said...

I needed this.

TJ said...

This is inspiring. Glad you're feeling better.

T.a.c.D said...

Totally inspiring! Thanks for sharing!

MOMSWEB said...

Great post! Time has a way of making things alright. One of my favorite sayings is..."It's already alright!"