Thursday, August 13, 2009

At My Age, It's Not Cool ...

To play games

To participate in popularity contests

To be part of a clique

To have anymore children

To have sex in a car

Not to say exactly what’s on my mind

Not to do exactly what I want

Not to be able to say “no” when necessary

To date men my son’s age

To dress like my daughter

People say I have a lot of rules for myself. Usually those people are people who are trying to get me to do something I have no interest in doing. Recently, someone asked me to do something that I have absolutely no desire to do. Here’s how it went down:

As you may or may not know, for the past year I have been writing restaurant reviews for one of the local magazines here in VB. I was excited about doing this because I wanted to sharpen my writing skills, deal with deadlines and build my library of published works. I agreed to do this on a volunteer basis because I love doing what I do. Last month, I interviewed a restaurant manager for one of the places we were to feature. We spoke for at least thirty minutes and I took about three pages of notes. It was one of the more in-depth interviews, as I usually just eat and write … but this guy wanted to talk. No problem. Well, the article came out and apparently one of the owners was not so thrilled with my write up. Why? Not because I said horrible things about the food. On the contrary, the food was excellent. As was the service, price and the atmosphere. This guy’s nose was out of joint because his name wasn’t mentioned in the article. Well, honey if your manager had given me your name it would have been mentioned.

So, the publisher of the magazine sends me the following e-mail:

[Owner Guy} is one of the owners and feels really pissed that he was not in the article. His number is XXX-XXXX. I told him we might want to do an interview with him, maybe man of the month. We could explain the whole story about him starting the place. I can't get [the guy I spoke to] to answer his phone.

Hmph.

I’ve thought about it for a couple days and here is the reply that I’m sending:

I have been writing restaurant reviews for [Name of Magazine] for the past year and I have appreciated the experience and the opportunity to build up my library of published works. I have done this on a 100% volunteer basis because I enjoy doing what I do.

However, I have no interest in writing a “Man of the Month” article in order to stroke [Owner Guy’s] ego. If he has a problem with what I wrote in the [name of restaurant] article, then he needs to have a conversation with [guy I spoke to]. Everything I wrote came directly from [guy I spoke to]. The names that were included were the names that [guy I spoke to] provided.

Additionally, the time and expense that I put into writing the reviews has become burdensome. As I said, while I have enjoyed the experience I feel this should be the end of our professional relationship.

Sorry dude, I don’t do the ego-stroke. Never have, never will.

Truth be told, Bryan and I have spoken quite a bit about using our talent and resources and starting our own entertainment/restaurant guide … maybe now is the time to take that more seriously.

9 comments:

TJ said...

While I joke about someday attaining Cougar status, I honestly have no desire to go out with dudes who would be in my son's peer group. :) Best wishes on the entertainment/restaurant guide.

Bananas said...

It is time to do your own thing. You and Bryan need to get to it like...yesterday.

Why use skills for other people, when you can use them for yourself.

Bballmom said...

Chele

I think you and Bryan doing your own restaurant/entertainment guide is a fantastic idea! I love it and wish you the best of luck in moving that idea forward.

Wow. Very cool.

nikki said...

yeah, it sounds about time to do your own thing.

LadyLee said...

Chele, I don't blame you. You know how I am. I don't ego sroke or kiss ass. And I STAY in trouble because of it. Who cares. I definitely feel you on that one.

Start that guide. Do that!

Blah Blah Blah said...

...so...there is an age limit on car sex? Well damn.

Always do your own thing. So do it...now.

Diva (in Demand) said...

You are such a good person....my face is very frowned up over that man of the month suggestion. You know what I think of your reviews and skills....just sign my copy before you send it to me so I can have proof that "I knew you when". :)

ShellyShell said...

I don't blame you at all for not wanting to stroke the man's ego. Hell if he wanted his name mentioned so bad why didn't he participate in the interview?

I wish you much luck on doing your own thing! You have nothing to lose! :)

princessdominique said...

I miss your blog. I'm creating a non-fashion spot specifically for it! And an EARLY Happy Birthday to you!