Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Day 8

This morning I read Matthew 5 which is the beginning of the sermon on the mount. You have the beatitudes, which I learned when I was a child, and Jesus teaches about light, the Law, anger, lust, divorce, vows, retaliation and loving your enemies. But then at the end of the chapter Jesus says that we are to be perfect (5:48).

Perfect? Does God really want us to be perfect?

Isn't our mantra as human beings, "Nobody's perfect"? Doesn't that give us our justification to cut up and act a fool? Seriously, I know I'm supposed to be good and kind and loving and fair but am I really supposed to be perfect as well? That's a lot of pressure and a lot to ask of one person, so I had to do some additional research to find out if perfect really meant perfect.

In my Bible, this verse cross references several other verses: Colossians 1:28, where the notes explain that perfect means mature or complete, not flawless. And 1 John 3:2, 3 where the note explains that being perfect is a process of becoming more and more like Christ and the process will not be complete until we see him face to face.

I have to think on this one some more. I think the word "perfect" scares me much like the word "submit" used to scare me. I view it as something I will never be able to attain so I fight against it. Fighting against something doesn't make it go away it actually makes its power increase. So I have to stop fighting and just meditate on perfection being a process to attain maturity.

In other news ...

I'm working from home today. I need to get some work done on the house so I have to meet with a contractor and I have a dentist appointment today so it just made more sense. I like being here during the day especially now that the kids are back in school. Actually, my son only has one class today but even when he's here, it's like he's not.

The rain has finally stopped and I think it's going to be a pretty day.

6 comments:

LadyLee said...

I think I learned something important here: There's a huge difference between society's definition of perfection and God's definition of perfection. With that said, I better get to making sure I know the difference... and be willing to be perfected.

God most definitely has a hand in our perfection... Go have a look at Psalms 138:8 to see what I'm talking about.

Good post. Made me think. Continue on... I am learning much. I am gonna stick with you:)

A.u.n.t. Jackie said...

i like this. at agape which is where i worship the rev always makes mention that we were created perfectly in the image of God, which leads me to believe that perfection the Bible speaks of is to eminate our true nature which was already perfected by the most high.

Demetrius said...

Chele, very nice blog. There is so much wisdom to be found in here.

chele said...

Thanks everyone! It may sound cliche but I think I now understand it when people say, "God's ways are not our ways and God's thoughts are not our thoughts." I defintiely have a different view of the word "perfect".

Bunny Brown said...

"So I have to stop fighting and just meditate on perfection being a process to attain maturity."

Love this translation. Working on that myself. Really digging this countdown Chele.

Anonymous said...

"...perfection being a process to attain maturity."

Profound, and true! Blessings for being led and a willing vessel.