Thursday, September 10, 2009

Day 9

When I do my daily reading I first read the King James version. I’ve always read the KJV and although it gives some folks trouble it is the version that I prefer and the one that makes me the most comfortable. Afterward I’ll check out the Amplified version or The Message just for further clarification.

Today I read Matthew 6 and what really stood out for me in this chapter is the reassurance that God is always taking care of me. I don’t have to worry about what I’m going to wear or what I’m going to eat because God has it all handled (verses 25, 26). These are the verses that actually got me to start tithing. Most people reference Malachi 3:10 where the author tells us that we are robbing God because we don’t pay tithes. Yeah, trying to make me feel bad or guilty never works with me. Don’t get me wrong, I like Malachi because he goes on to say that God will bless me beyond belief and rebuke the devourer for my sake (3:10, 11) but when I was first confronted with tithing my immediate response was, “What about my bills?” Jesus explains that if God will take care of the birds and the trees, he will certainly take care of me! What am I worried about? God gives me 100% of everything that I need and all He asks for is 10% back and I get to keep 90%. These principles are more than words on a page. Faith is key.

The chapter ends with this: Seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness and all these things will be added unto you. Stop worrying about tomorrow because tomorrow will take care of itself. For me, this means that the only thing that I have to do is actively seek God, be hungry for his righteousness and He will take care of the rest. Easier said than done? At one point in my life I would have screamed “Yes!” But not now. I mean, I am concerned with the future … my health, will my kids be successful, when is the guy going to call me about the roof … but none of these concerns keep me up at night. I don’t worry.

So be concerned, but don’t worry. Seek God and let Him take care of the rest.

4 comments:

TJ said...

Girl money is where the rubber meets the road. LOL. One thing I've learned is that when you seek the kingdom first, your priorities shift and the stuff that used to keep you up at night does not so much anymore. :)I read the king james first too.

Bballmom said...

The KJV gives me fits.

I use my daughters old teen bible when i really need it broken down.

But mostly I use my "Woman thou art loosed" edition. Love that bible.

Bunny Brown said...

I use the NIV, it helps me out and like Bballmom I use my godson's student bible for more clarification.

Anonymous said...

I memorized from the KJV and will use NKJV for easier reading. You know less the "thee and thous." ;)

I own a NKJV Study Application Bible when I need to get into a deep study.

Tithing always came easy for me once I was instructed about it biblically, but I remember a particular season when I was tested while babysitting and starting a small business. Nevertheless, God was faithful through it all.

JEHOVA JIREH - “The Lord Will Provide.”