Sunday, April 8, 2012

No Regrets

I have spent many years beating myself up. Putting myself down. Telling myself I'm not good enough. The truth of my past seems to reinforce those beliefs. I understand that you cannot get to my age without having a past. That how it works. But I now realize that the missteps of my past don't make me a bad person. The events of my past have molded me and taught me lessons that I would not have otherwise learned. Therefore, I am eternally grateful for my past. I have no regrets. I don't regret the marriages, the annullment and the divorce. I don't regret the broken relationships. I don't regret the poor financial decisions. I regret nothing. I have learned so much and I have accomplished plenty in 47 years. And I still have so much to do. My best years are ahead of me. I am blessed and I will never again feel less than. The Bible says that I am above and not beneath, that I am the head and not the tail. Who am I to argue?

5 comments:

This One Woman said...

I really needed to read this. Sometimes I feel like I am trapped in the decisions of my past. But I am the one trapping me there. We are not our pasts. Thank you for sharing this.

BluJewel said...

I concur with One Woman's comment. I, too, have sometimes digressed into my past and chastised myself for the decisions I made, but like you, I realize that these things were necessary steps in my progress to be who I am today and I know they were all a part of the plan. God will not guide us where He will not deliver us from, so I'm thankful instead of regretful for the past.

Chele, this post is absolutely the emotional/mental breakfast I needed.

Thanks and have a great day

LadyLee said...

I am learning more and more each day, that I gotta make a concerted effort to line my thoughts up with what the Word says about me... and you say "I am above, and not beneathe"... is a good one, a good personal confession, to line my thoughts up with. I rather get in agreement with that than with the negative. Really though.

I don't beat myself up anymore. I remember when I turned 40 and the stark realization and pure understanding that everything - all my triumphs, tragedies, accomplishments, failures and shortcomings - make up the totality of me and who I am. And I didn't have a full appreciation of that until I turned 40. I sooooo wish I could've understood this at age 20.

Good post... made me think.

TJ said...

What an awesome and timely post!

Newy said...

I said something similar last week. matter of fact...Copy paste...it was my FB status Friday....


I know I have made mistakes & haven’t always been a good rep for Christ. I don’t need you to remind me, I have the scars to prove it. Some of the scars you can’t even see. You know what though, as I look at who I was, and see who I am now, I have made peace with both. Where I been has given me strength and courage to Praise Him for where I am. Broken, but healing. #brokentheplay