Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Philippians 3:14

Reaching for a goal. Pressing toward the mark. Striving for something that is so close you can feel it.

How do you plan to get to where you are going if you always keep one foot in the past?

That’s the question that I asked myself this morning and now I’m asking you. I have a terrible habit of holding grudges like they are worth money and keeping the past fresh in my mind. I replay certain moments in my head over and over again like an old movie. You know how we know the dialogue to The Color Purple (“You shole is ugly!”) and Friday (“You ain’t got to lie Craig!”) and when we repeat these quotes it can be funny as hell. But when you constantly repeat painful instances from the past it’s not funny at all. It’s counterproductive and it holds you (me) back.

I have things to do, places to go and people to see but I know that I’m not going anywhere if I don’t shake loose the memories of the past and keep my eyes forward. Pressing toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

Keep looking straight ahead. Let the past stay in the past. Your future is bright.

2 comments:

Blu Jewel said...

I forgive you...hard words to say, but are the most effective tool in letting things go. Even if you don't tell the person to their face; just saying it has healing powers.

True story...If I'd not said those very words, I'd be losing out on the love that is now manifesting in my life. It's taken us 14 years, but we're finally going to be together.

Fall forward Chele; it's worth it and it will be okay.

love to live; live to love!

CareyCarey said...

Hello Chele

I haven't been over here in a while but I see you a pressing forward. Looking back is so ugly. When we do that we can't look forward.

Hey, that was pretty good the way you blended those qoutes into your post.

Now how did you know we all know those lines :-).