Friday, June 5, 2009

Merge

How do you successfully merge your life with someone else’s? Not just the merging of belongings but of habits, lifestyles, etc.

I’ve been thinking about this a lot lately and I know it’s not impossible. Surely, it can be done but when I think about it for too long it just seems like a huge undertaking.

For example:

Me
Morning person
Work a regular 9-5 with weekends free
Raising two teenagers
More laid back when it comes to household chores
Planner

Him
Night person
Self-employed, generally works afternoons, evenings and weekends
Never been married/No children
Rigid when it comes to doing things around the house
Spontaneous

My biggest concern is the fact that he has no idea what it is like to live with teenagers. He may be used to finding things exactly where he left them. Unfortunately, with kids in the house that is not always the case. (i.e., “Didn’t I just buy that box of Wheat Thins?”) I understand that there will be compromises to make but again, this just seems like a huge undertaking. I don’t want anyone to be inconvenienced … least of all my kids. They like how things are and they didn’t ask for their lives to be disrupted. Sometimes I think we’ve lasted almost six years because we don’t live together.

How do people make this work?

2 comments:

Serenity3-0 said...

Is it not possible to do a trial period? And just see how it works out?

Anonymous said...

Adults have a tough time as it is getting acquainted with living together, but throw some kids in the mix and it could be tough. To find some answers seek out folk who are on this journey already for the best input.